Senior officials of an NGO, suspected to be behind what the government termed an international job scam, were arrested on Wednesday.
The unnamed man and three women were summoned to the NGOs Coordination Board where they were handed over to the CID.
It was not clear whether the organisation’s CEO Julius Kithome was among those arrested.
NGOs Board CEO Fazul Mohamed said their organisation, East Africa Sub-Saharan Africa Safe Promotion International, is not registered.
“Those individuals run an illegal entity and the officials are international cons,” Fazul said, adding that they will appear in court today once investigations are completed.
“They will be charged with collecting money on false pretenses. Any other body masquerading as a humanitarian agency and not registered with us is criminal and will be dealt with accordingly,” he said.
Last Sunday, thousands of job seekers flocked Safaricom Stadium Kasarani in Nairobi county after reports that an organisation was offering jobs.
Some of the people from around the country arrived at the venue as early as 6am, while others said they had spent the previous night there.
Each person was asked to pay Sh20,000 for registration, badges and t-shirts by the organisation that announced 20,000 vacancies, some with starting salaries as high as Sh200,000.
Kithome had told the media the NGO was working with the Devolution ministry to “improve the lives of Kenyans”.
“Kenya will experience a revolution during the programme’s first year in terms of the economic and social empowerment of her people,” he said last Sunday.
“We have the blessings of the government,” he added, saying the first group of beneficiaries had been recruited and asked to attend the launch.
But the ministry distanced itself from the organisation and warned the public about the “scam”.